Sussex County 2021 General Election Information
*Please do not bring your mail-in-ballot to the Municipal Building,
refer to the information listed below or call the Municipal Clerk's
Office at 973-383-5570.
2021 GENERAL ELECTION
General Election Day in New Jersey this year is Tuesday, November 2nd, 2021.
All regular polling places in Sussex County will be open. 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
• Voting is in-person using voting machines. Voters must vote in their assigned location (assigned location is indicated on Sample Ballot or call the Election Office)
• Vote by Mail ballots are also available from the County Clerk’s Office upon request and can be returned in one of 3 ways:
• US Mail postmarked no later than Election Day November 2nd.
• Board of Elections Office
o Office hours 8am – 4pm Monday thru Friday.
• Any of 13 secure ballot drop boxes around the County.
Ballot Box Information:
o Accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
o Ballots are picked up by Elections staff every morning.
o Drop boxes are locked at 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.
** (Note: Vote-by-Mail ballots cannot be returned to polling places on Election Day.)
• Voters can designate another person to return their paper ballot for them as noted on the ballot envelope. These “Bearers” can only return a total of 3 ballots, or 5 ballots if from the same household, in addition to their own.
• Sample ballots will be sent to all registered voters approximately 2 weeks prior to Election Day. The sample ballot will include the voter’s assigned polling place.
• The deadline to register to vote in time for this General Election is Wednesday, October 13. The Board of Elections office will remain open until 9pm to accept new registrations.
• If a voter has moved within the County, they should call the Board of Elections to update their address so they can vote in their new town.
All polling places are inspected yearly for ADA Accessibility
COVID 19 protocols will be observed – COVID supplies will be available at each location
Any questions can be directed to the Election Office at 973-579-0950
Election Dates for 2021
Track My Ballot
Due to historically high volume, ballots deposited in Secure Ballot Drop Box locations may take up to one week to show up as “Received” and Ballots sent via US Mail may take up to two weeks to show up as "Received" in the Ballot Tracker.
You can track the progress of your ballot. Here’s how: Start by signing into your personal My Voter Record account.
Log Into My Voter Record
If do not already have a My Voter Record account, you will need to set up your account.
You can use your Voter ID, NJ Driver's License Number or the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number to sign up for your account. It is suggested that you use your Voter ID. You can find it by using the "Am I Registered/Voter Search Tool.” Or you can contact your County Election Officials.
Set Up My Voter Record Account
*Or you can also call your County Election Officials to track your Mail-In Ballot.
Either return your ballot by mail, deliver it to your county Board of Elections office, place it in one of the secure ballot drop boxes located throughout your county, or bring it to your polling place. Remember only you, the voter, can bring your ballot to your polling place on Election Day. Ballot status information (i.e. – received, etc.) is provided by the counties via an automated process. The amount of time it takes until updates post to the Ballot Tracker may vary from county to county. Please check back periodically for updates to your ballot status.
Video Guide for First Time NJ Voters
Are you registered?
Quick and easy voting in Sussex County.
For further information , forms and applications
Poll Workers Needed!
Have FUN and get PAID while participating in democracy. Board of Elections training classes are being scheduled now - call Jeannie for more information 973-579-0950 x 4
For the list of upcoming training courses to become a poll worker, please click here.